- Consider the history and nature of transcendence in cinema, it’s operation in particular films, and the permutations of relationships between transcendence/spirituality and film.
- Transcendence: Religion and Film focuses on various ways religion and spirituality have been projected in film, popular culture (movies, television, and computer games), as well as independent and art films.
- Explore and further articulate their personal paradigm of transcendence and film especially in its operation in specific cinematic texts
- Develop “experimental criticism” skills (as identified by C.S. Lewis), examining a text’s impact on spectators and its relationship to the intent of its creators.
- Establish familiarity with the some of the scholarly literature on religion/values and film.