WHEN DO I NEED IT?
- Practice exercises
- Any equipment beyond class approved lists
Access meetings must be take place at least one week before the desired reservation time (with the exception of the Grip Trailer or MPS services and facilities, these must be reserved at least 3 weeks in advance). So make sure you plan ahead. Sign up for an Access Meeting only after you have filled out all paperwork and had it signed by your faculty advisor.
Access meetings take place on Thursdays at 12:40 pm during Fall and Winter semester. The Access committee consists of faculty administrators and student employees who are Area Supervisors in the MAL. The people present at the meetings generally are the Access & Facilities manager, Project Coordinator, FSSS Area Supervisor, and Sound Area Supervisor.**All students involved in the request must attend the access meeting punctually, and BRING YOUR COMPLETED and SIGNED APPLICATION with you. Please also bring two copies of these documents with you.
During the meeting you will be asked to explain why you need the equipment and are expected to demonstrate your competence and understanding with the equipment you are requesting. The Access committee will make sure that you are qualified to operate the equipment or if you are taking the proper steps to get qualified through the use of practice exercises, working on other projects, etc. Every Access meeting is unique depending on your experience and what you are requesting but following are some of the basic questions you will be most likely be asked:
- What equipment have you asked for?
- What are you planning on using that for?
- When do you need the equipment?
- How long do you need it?
- In the case of practice exercises you will be asked, who is your mentor?
TIPS TO MAKE YOUR MEETING SUCCESSFUL:
- Have all of your paperwork completely filled out and ready to hand in
- Be on time, be polite, remember that access is a privilege, not a right
- Know your equipment list, make sure it is complete, understand the purpose of each piece requested
- Ask questions if you do not understand anything
- Have a couple of options of dates in case equipment is unavailable