Located in the state of the art UEN Operations Center housed at the Eccles Broadcast Center on the University of Utah campus, this is a service desk position that provides daily technical support and assistance for the Utah Education and Telehealth Network’s Interactive Video Conferencing system that utilizes cutting edge distance learning technologies for statewide higher education and public education live, interactive distance education programs.
• Utilizing various software tools and applications the position provides Tier 1 troubleshooting support for the Utah Education and Tele-Health Network’s statewide video tele-conferencing system, infrastructure and endpoints.
• Assists in general management, maintenance and connectivity for daily statewide IVC events.
• Initiates and tracks trouble tickets for follow up and resolution with stakeholders and peer departments regarding network, equipment and hardware issues and failures.
• Provides support and assistance to statewide coordinators, facilitators, and local techs for synchronous events on the UEN-IVC system.
• Provides assistance to field engineers and techs with the diagnosing, troubleshooting and resolving of video and data network related problems.
• Assists the Application Engineering Department with the testing, implementation and support of new IVC technologies.
• Accomplish projects and assignments at the request of UETN management and administration.
• Provides reports and maintains technical information provided to management regarding the status and reliability of the IVC system, equipment and hardware.
• Operations Center staff members are expected to act as professional representatives of UETN to its partners, peer staff, end site users and various stakeholders throughout the state and nation.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Requires an associate degree in a related area or equivalency and 2-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skillsets and knowledgebase:
• A strong understanding of current network and video tele-conferencing (VTC) protocols, standards, concepts and trends; QoS, SIP, H.320, H.323, H.264, H.265, H.460, etc.
• A capable knowledge of data network and VTC applications, software and hardware technologies (TMS, TCS, MCU, CMS, Webex, VCS, UVC, Polycom, and the Cisco acquired video technologies portfolio), as well as other vendor network and video-conferencing platforms and hardware. Knowledge of IP Telephony and UCM environments a plus.
• An applicable understanding of Cisco Expressway and VCS registration systems.
• Demonstrable ability to remotely support statewide users of aforementioned deployed technologies in a Tier 1 capacity.
• Exposure to and understanding of video tele-conferencing design and integration concepts.
• At least two years or more experience of troubleshooting duties in a technology related Help Desk/Call Center environment with the ability to implement, test, operate and troubleshoot audio, visual and video-conferencing equipment.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Pay Rate Range
$39,300/yr. to $42,000/yr